- Christmas shopping done – tick!
- Mr Books & I enjoyed our first night out at the movies since Feb 2020. We dined beforehand, then enjoyed a rather large glass of rose during the screening of Dune!
- I decided to reinstate the sending of Christmas cards this year. It felt like the right thing to do.
What I’m Reading:
- No. 91/92 A Parisian Bus Diary | Lauren Elkin
- Master & Commander #3 HMS Surprise | Patrick O’Brian
- These Precious Days | Ann Patchett
- Last Letter to a Reader | Gerald Murnane
- Fishing For Lightning: The Spark of Poetry | Sarah Holland-Batt
- Griffith Review 68: Getting On | editor Ashley Hay
- Signs and Wonders | Delia Falconer
Read But Not Reviewed: (at the rate I’m going I cannot see these being reviewed this side of Christmas, except the Christmas ones of course!)
- Christmas Eve at Warwingie | Mary Gaunt
- Piranesi | Susanna Clarke
- Leaping Into Waterfalls: The Enigmatic Gillian Mears | Bernadette Brennan
- Fire Front: First Nations Poetry and Power Today | edited by Alison Whittaker
- A weekend with one of my sister’s and her family.
- Summer holidays!
- La Niña has made for a wet, grey, coolish start to summer so far.
New to the Pile:
On the Blog:
- WordPress Block Editor users – have you any tips for how to insert captions onto images like reading challenge badges? I know I can add them using image editing apps on my computer, but can I also do so in WordPress? I had a go last week by moving the caption option for the image around, but it seemed to turn the image dark, like it had a shadow over it. Help!
At the Movies:
- Dune – at times the BIG sound and BIG visuals overwhelmed the story, but it was still well done. Obviously the book is better though (at least what I remember of it – I read the book 30 yrs ago!)
- I had planned on doing this readalong during 2021, but time got away from me.
- I have read the first two books in this series twice, but have not yet completed the trilogy. It’s time!
- Especially after being reminded of how wonderful Edith is thanks to the recent book program on the ABC hosted by Claudia Karvan, The Books That Made Us (see Kim @Reading Matters posts here).
- It will be a leisurely readalong over several months.
- Dates TBC.
- A Literary Christmas with Tarissa @In The Bookcase #ALiteraryChristmas
- First Book of the Year with Sheila @Book Journey
- The Japanese Literature Challenge with Meredith @Dolce Bellezza | January – March 2022 #JapaneseLitChallenge15
- AWW Gen 4 with Bill @ The Australian Legend | 16-23 January 2022 | Read books by Australian women who began writing in the 1960s, 70s and 80s.
- #PilgrimageTogether – A Dorothy Richardson readalong
- And a big shout-out to this year’s QVB Christmas Tree. It’s inspired by Australia’s native Wollemi Pine, with illuminated seed baubles and 3 different designs of the native Flannel Flower and topped with the traditional Swarovski star.
Until next time, stay safe, and happy reading!
- This post was written on the traditional land of the Wangal clan, one of the 29 clans of the Eora Nation within the Sydney basin.