This is an extra special, super-dooper CHUNKSTER edition of the Classics Club Spin. We challenge you to fill this spin list with 20 of those HUGE books you’ve been putting off reading because you didn’t have enough time. With this spin we are giving you the time – nearly 10 weeks in fact – to tackle one of those imposing tomes on your classics shelf.
- Eden’s Outcasts: The Story of Louisa May Alcott and Her Father by John Matteson shared Louisa May Alcott read with Michelle @True Book Addict
- 1788 by Watkin Tench
- A Dance to the Music of Time: Spring by Anthony Powell shared with Christina @Book Tapestry
- Basil by Wilkie Collins shared with @Booker Talk
- Virginia Woolf by Hermione Lee shared with O @Quaint & Curious Volumes
- Night and Day by Virginia Woolf
- Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens shared with Jessica @The Bookworm Chronicles
- Alexander’s Bridge by Willa Cather
- The Makioka Sisters by Junichiro Tanizaki
- Petersburg by Andrei Bely
- Coonaroo by Katharine Susannah Prichard
- Letters on Life by Rainer Maria Rilke
- Lives of the Caesars by Suetonius
- Red Sky at Sunrise by Laurie Lee
- The Dream of the Red Chamber by Cao Xueqin shared with Emma @Words and Peace
- Hiroshima by John Hersey shared with Anne @My Head is Full of Books
- Elizabeth Gaskell by Jenny Uglow
- Moby Dick by Herman Melville shared with Deb @Readerbuzz
- The Belly of Paris by Emile Zola
- Edith Wharton by Hermione Lee
CC Spin #3 (2013 #4) My Cousin Rachel – hope to watch the movie soon.
CC Spin #4 (2014 #10) The Brothers Karamazov – I was flounderng about halfway through this chunkster, when I lost it during a move…serendipity, I say!
CC Spin #5 (2014 #20) The Odyssey with Plethora of Books – This one was a bit of a cheat as I had started it for another readalong, but was struggling to finish it. I added it to my cc list to motivate me. When no. 20 spun up it seemed like the gods had decreed it so!
CC Spin #8 (2015 #13) Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh – my one and only dud Spin read so far. Satire is not my thing.
CC Spin #9 (2015 #2) The Great World by David Malouf – my first Australian classic spin.
CC Spin #10 (2015 #5) A Far Cry From Kensington by Muriel Spark.
CC Spin #12 (2016 #8) Dubliners by James Joyce – too depressing and hopeless for my state of mind at the time.
CC Spin #13 (2016 #15) The Catherine Wheel by Catherine Harrower – my second Aussie #ccspin classic.
CC Spin #14 (2016 #1) The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnet
CC Spin #15 (2017 #12) Out of Africa by Karen Blixen – a disappointment in the end. The movie was better.
CC Spin #16 (2017 #4) The Diary of a Provincial Lady by E M Delafield – a book that grew better with reflection & the passing of time.
CC Spin #18 (2018 #9) The Unicorn by Iris Murdoch – a curious choice with many, many layers and themes to explore.