I can proudly say that I have not missed one single Classics Club Spin. And I’m thrilled to join in the latest – the club’s tenth spin and mine.
The idea is to pick 20 unread titles from your Classics Club list and wait until Monday morning (US time) for a random number to be drawn. You then read the book with that number by October 23.
#1 The Magnificent Ambersons with Cat.
#2 Tess of the D’Urbervilles with Lakeside Musings & Several Four Many.
#3 My Cousin Rachel.
#4 The Brothers Karamazov with Bree who also read a Dostoyevsky novel for this spin.
I’m still reading this chunkster…very slowly…and with lots of breaks. A good editor would have been helpful 🙂
#5 The Odyssey with Plethora of Books.
This one was a bit of a cheat as I had started it for another readalong, but struggled to finish.
I added it to my list to motivate me to finish it.
When no. 20 spun up it seemed like the gods had decreed it so!
#6 No Name by Wilkie Collins with Melbourne on My Mind.
#7 Silent Spring by Rachel Carson with Booker Talk.
#8 Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh has been my one and only dud Spin read so far.
#9 The Great World by David Malouf
I’ve only read 50/125 of my Classics Club list.
I am now over halfway through my personal challenge but well under halfway through my list.
Hopefully this spin will get me motivated again.
It’s not that I don’t enjoy reading classics, but my job in an Indy bookshop requires me to stay abreast of contemporary literature. I know, it’s a hard life, but someone has to do it! However, it does impact on my ability to read all the classics I would like. Especially at this time of year with all the interesting shortlists and awards being announced.
My Classics Club #10 spin list inlcudes:
1. Watership Down by Richard Adams (reread) reading with Historia @Classics Club Challenge
2. The Good Earth by Pearl S Buck
3. Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner
4. Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald
5. A Far Cry From Kensington by Muriel Spark
6. When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr (reread)
7. Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
8. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath reading with Kaja @Of Dragons and Hearts
9. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte reading with Jessica @The Bookworm Chronicles
10. Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell reading with Margaret @Books Please
11. Dubliners by James Joyce
12. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
13. Stoner by John Williams
14. The Berlin Novels by Christopher Isherwood
15. Ninety Three by Victor Hugo
16. The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch reading with Joy Isabella
17. Indiana by George Sand
18. Man and Wife by Wilkie Collins
19. Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde reading with Donna @Scrambled Books
20. Hare and the Tortoise by Elizabeth Jenkins
Happy Spinning everyone!
Our lucky spin no. is 5.
Which means I will be reading my gorgeous Virago Modern Classics designer edition of
A Far Cry From Kensington by Muriel Spark